Overseas studies suggest that up to 50% of adults delay or avoid seeing their dentist -often for many years ¬mainly due to anxiety, fear or anticipated discomfort. This can lead to advanced tooth and gum problems, reduced function, bad breath, poor cosmetic appearance and unnecessary suffering and pain.
It is established practice to give IV sedation routinely for uncomfortable or invasive medical procedures, such as endoscopy and colonoscopy, to make them comfortable and tolerable.
More recently both dentists and patients are recognising that uncomfortable or unpleasant dental procedures can be made more pleasant and enjoyable when done under sedation as well.
And although anxiety or fear are the main reasons people choose to have sedation, people can also benefit from Sleep Dentistry for a variety of other reasons.
Who can benefit from IV Sedation?
Sleep Dentistry, or IV sedation, is beneficial for people who:
- Hate needles and shots
- Have a low pain threshold
- Have difficulty getting numb
- Hate the noises, smells, tastes and pain of dental treatment
- Have had traumatic experiences with dentistry in the past
- Have a strong or “hair-trigger” gag-reflex (gag easily)
- Have very sensitive teeth or gums
- Are afraid or embarrassed about their teeth
- Have jaw problems or difficulty keeping their mouth open
- Have complex dental problems or need long sessions or surgery
- Are busy and wish to have more work done in fewer sessions
- Find dental treatments tedious, uncomfortable or boring
- Are fearful and anxious about any aspect of dentistry
What can IV Sedation do for you?
- Eliminates the awareness, sights, sounds, smells, tastes and pain of needles, instruments and drilling
- Eliminates the boredom of long or complex sessions and enables you to relax
- Eliminates fear, anxiety and discomfort and makes the dental experience enjoyable
- Enables busy people to have multiple procedures and long sessions done in a single sitting
- Allows your dental procedures to be more comfortable than you ever thought possible
- Enables you to receive the dental care you need
What are the advantages of IV Sedation?
It is the most advanced and modern sedation technique available, providing comprehensive control of fear, stress and anxiety, with the added benefit of superior pain relief.
It is administered and monitored by an experienced medical doctor who maintains a full-time practice utilising dental sedation techniques.
It doesn’t require hospitalisation with all the associated inconvenience and extra expenses -the doctor comes to your dentist’s surgery and you go home straight from there.
The doctor is able to carefully control the amount of sedation desired and tailor it to your individual needs.
It produces a profound state of relaxation and calm. You stay comfortable throughout your dental procedure and come out of sedation gently and naturally, with a relaxed sense of well-being -and no hangover or unpleasant side-effects! Recovery is usually rapid.
It saves time -more treatment can be done in a single sitting -complex treatment plans can be completed in fewer sessions.
It allows the dentist to work more efficiently. It also allows the doctor to give additional medications when necessary (for example to reduce swelling or treat and prevent infection).
It eliminates the boredom and fatigue of long sessions.